First time as 4

Brian, Chris, Jason, and I got to play as 4 at the Pioneer Saloon in Woodside last night. With the virus things, we weren't expecting much of a crowd. We played for 2 hours or so, and maybe 15 people showed up.

The people there seemed to connect, and they were friendly with their tips.

We learned some PA/sound related things that were helpful. Monitors on the floor as wedges work great, and putting a sub in the middle of them is fine, too. A bar table off stage is less intrusive than a speaker stand, and getting the other speaker stand off stage saves a little more space. Having separate EQs for the monitors and the mains would be helpful, and I'm hoping we'll try that next time.

I'd also been working on a guitar amp/speaker simulation. Two lessons there: live tests at a gig are the best, especially if you can do the A/B comparison right there. And having a boogie/tube-amp in the guitar path is its own magic. I've got 3 tube amps, and two simulation paths. Lots of options to consider this week. I'm looking forward to the work.

I'm hoping to find something I like, and when I do, I'll write more about it.

Comments